Wednesday 6 March 2013

Use The Force Hannah


My legs are making decisions for me more and more, my heart, my head is more awake and ready to do things and my legs won't agree. I've walked on Monday, two five minute walks, to a friend and back. Yesterday I stood in front of the hob and cooked my breakfast and lunch. I'm still timing myself sometimes, out of interest rather than necessity I think...breakfast took 8 minutes and lunch 9. I cooked two portions of lunch, and had the second one heated up for breakfast this morning. (pieces of salmon with red onions and broccoli stems, cooked in a frying pan with a lid on to steam which meant I could sit down!)
Having done a bit of on-the-mat yoga yesterday morning, my legs could deal with sitting in the garden while I dug up a few snowdrops and moved them; the clumps are becoming extraordinarily tight and need to be separated. Today they are crying out for a break, my whole body is in fact and it is one of those days when I have to give in and let it be. My afternoon will consist of what I call 'healing' time. I could call it 'crash out on the sofa/bed and fail to do anything time' but that's not particularly helpful when it is a necessity and even typing this feels exhausting.
My legs get to decide when they walk and I learnt that the hard way a few weeks ago, when I was finding the car with my husband, having been to a coffee shop. I was struggling and hanging on to his arm, for what felt like dear life, all he could say to me was "Use the Force Luke" ! It made me laugh, helped me forget my legs and laugh at them when I remembered. It didn't help them work any better but I made it, all be it was half dragged, back to the car and it helped me remember that I need to ask my body what it CAN do, before I choose what I WANT to do. At some point my Wants will become more dominant, but until then, I'm asking my body and this afternoon it can't go for a short walk, even sit in the garden, it needs to rest and more importantly heal.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I can learn a lot from you.
    I'll start to name my exhaustion: "it's healing time". It will be much more helpful for my well being.
    Thanks again and take care. You're doing so well.

    ReplyDelete