Sunday 21 October 2012

Up To Date


I've been doing quite well, trying to spend less time in front of the iPad. (hence the fewer posts!) I've started moving my social life slightly away from the online network and am seeing a few friends from Church once a week. Knitting club is becoming easier to manage too. Once a month we meet up and I have managed three out of the last four months. Considering I did one in the previous twelve months, that's pretty good going. A friend is also coming round with her son once a week after school, which is a great way to start seeing people regularly again and keep in touch with those who really matter. It is amazing, and for some people totally incomprehensible  that sitting with people, even really close friends, and chatting, even listening to others' noise can be quite exhausting. You'll probably remember the sensation from when you have a headache or the flu coming on, but this can be constant and needs understanding from others, or complete avoidance!
With the colder weather I am indoors more, can't really sit in the garden when it's pouring with rain or blowing a gale! But it is really cosy in our sitting room with the multi-fuel burner roaring away. We have also achieved our promise of buying a new sofa and chairs at the end of this summer. So I can actually sit in front of the fire in comfort. A couple of times every week I am managing a short walk too. Which I am really enjoying. There is a river in our town and I am five minutes from a bench in a very quiet location where I can sit and watch the river wildlife enjoying its day too.
 After my seizure a couple of weeks ago I have had a metaphorical slap in the face. Before then, for about 15 years, my seizures were all during the night, or at least when I was asleep in bed (with the ME that was sometimes a daytime option!) So I have got out my silver talisman bracelet, which contains my medication information, next of kin, phone numbers, home address, all written on a slip of paper and folded into it. Paramedics and first aiders are trained to look for it. I have attached it to my keys as I know I won't leave the house without them and am unlikely to wear my talisman bracelet every day around the house (it is rather heavy and uncomfortable)
So as mentioned in the previous post I have reached the 6 month date since starting The Gupta Programme. This is quite a milestone for me as I realise how far I still have to go, but looking back I also realise how much I have recovered since starting. The other tools which are still helping me are reassuring. And I know I have private coaches to guide me if I find any times particularly difficult.  These last couple of weeks have been difficult, but I'm managing on my own. I'm staving off a cold and doing very little physically. Knowing that I have to give my body time to fight this virus helps me get through. Pushing through it is likely to push me backwards, as I have mentioned before in my blog, I have to sit down on the rung of the ladder and look at the view for a while, so I don't start falling off it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment