Tuesday 14 August 2012

Sitting Comfortably

I seem to be finding this mundane task so difficult at the moment.
None of the chairs in the house support me properly without cushions and rolled up blankets. With what most definitely feels like a detox happening right now, my body wants to curl up, even though I'm also craving a tall spine and open heart. I have a horrible feeling this is going to mean spending money. With the awareness I now have of my posture, how my position relates to comfort throughout the rest of my body too, I realise that sitting in bed with numerous pillows creating a triangle of support behind me is one of the only places I can find comfort when I'm having a tired day. The other option is lying on the floor or on the grass in the garden. I also have a chair in the loft, which has found very little use or space in our home recently. It has come down and gone up again a couple of times since we moved here 6 years ago. Many of you will recognise the frame, a simple supporting curve which rocks slightly with a little encouragement. I bought it when a well known retailer first came to the UK about 15 years ago...A friend was going on this iconic trip and had a shopping list from me another couple of friends...no one else we knew had been, as it involved about an hour and a half in the car to get there... come on can you guess?
Well done! here it is!...(mine has a much nicer dark blue cushion and I have the foot stool to match!)
I was in a worse state health-wise then. So I did find it comfortable. The sofa-bed I had in my bedroom was my one seating option if I wanted a change from sitting in bed (I had a difficult time in those days and was confined to my bedroom for months at a time) - and sofa beds from mail order catalogues were not comfortable at all, I don't know how my Mum could bear sitting with me so often and for so long. I love her even more for doing that! I knew by then that my much loved beanbag of my youth was not something I wanted to return to, so a grown-up chair it was. I had a romantic notion then that I would keep the chair for years and rock my baby to sleep in it... not something that has happened so far! My romantic notion now is that it will come down from the loft and be more comfortable than the sofa until we are willing to stride out into the summer sales and find some new furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment