Wednesday 22 August 2012

How...

do we recover?
This can be a short or long process, an easy or tough process. Everyone is different and no one will go through the same journey towards recovery. Quite simply the body needs to be retaught how to do things and taught to do things without being afraid. Scream at the top of your voice, like Macaulay Culkin in the film Home Alone "I'm not afraid anymore" and you will notice a new confidence.
From there it is all about patience. I have not recovered yet, but I am well on the way. I feel different inside. My heart doesn't beat like a pig's when an unlikely situation occurs. I don't have so much cognitive exhaustion, as my head is clearing out the stress and worry. By practicing meditation, teaching the body to relax I am on the right path. It is almost like soothing a crying baby; when the symptoms appear, I notice them, ask them why they're here and realise something is needed to soothe those symptoms. It is the ability to step back and see the emotions, feelings, as a message from the body that helps the messages relearn. Yoga has taught me a lot of this, from all sides, meditation, mindfulness, postures.
Yes it is a pain to have to go through this process, yes it doesn't work all the time. I get confused and worried, tired and cross. But the more I notice and change the responses consciously, the more the unconscious is learning to have these responses for me.
One example I have for you is the walking meditation I am doing... I have never walked so slowly and so confidently in my life. I take slow steps, feel my legs, my feet stretching into the ground. I feel my spine elongating and rising towards the sky. I notice views and noises that I have not noticed before. It is a short walk, a slow walk and quiet walk (away from traffic and bustle) my body doesn't need to be afraid. This response will be taken, in time, as I walk in other situations and I will be able to walk with steadiness, calmness and confidence further into my life.

So much of what I am writing appears to be about the mind changing the body, but this is about the brain changing the body.  Please note that it is the unconscious brain that is making these decisions. Everyone with ME may have to work with the conscious mind on an intellectual level to recover, to change the brain-body. ME is a physical illness, with physical symptoms and it is the physical responses that need to be healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment