Thursday 2 August 2012

Audiobooks and Tranquility

My audio book collection

Has gone beyond belief. And I love it. I have just finished listening to The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which I discovered on the Librivox website, (link)
A friend and I have been meeting up on the phone three or four evenings a week and listening to the chapters together. Brilliant. And neither of us  has wanted the book to end. Next on the list is another Frances Hodgson Burnett book; A Little Princess.
Alone I am listening to two books, What Katy Did, by Susan Coolidge(link), a childhood favourite, and a real tear jerker, so much so, I'm not sure it's particularly good for me!
The second is The Help, by Kathryn Stockett, which was quite expensive to buy, but 18 hours of unabridged tale, by Oscar winning actors, must be worth it?
I am lapping this all up and it is a good reason to switch off the television with so much of it concentrated on the Olympics at the moment. I am in a different world and tidying the house at the same time.
Did I tell about this?

Tranquility

I am clearing out one of our rooms, previously more of a store room than a spare bedroom, it holds bulk buys of food!, all my wool and knitting, fabric, sewing machine, DIY tool box, gift wrap...you know the sort of thing! Well the household accounts which had made camp in there have also been partially sorted along with my wool and all of my husband's vinyl collection and a lot of bits and pieces which really need to have destiny's hand take the decision as to their future at a car boot sale!
The consequence of tidying this room is for me to have a yoga and meditation retreat room when I want it. I currently spend yoga time in the living room, which also contains the TV, radio, dining table, our only sofa etc.etc. so me getting some peace and quiet in an evening when my husband wants a comfortable place to read, play with his numerous radios (I call them gadgets!) is understood and accepted as necessary but not really convenient. By having a separate space for this the ambience of our evenings will be much smoother.
By doing this I am putting myself first and giving my husband a lot at the same time. During the summer (relying on the weather!) I escape into the world of the garden and have done yoga videos, thanks to the iPad, on the lawn. I know it won't be long before I want to escape the hustle and bustle of the ringing phone, the front door and general gadget-filled eye candy and the weather and seasons won't be on my side. So the room I am aiming for will give me some tranquility in a busy and sometimes sound-filled house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment