Sunday 15 July 2012

Stopping Myself In My Tracks

I have done this before. Started walking again when I realise how much I prefer walking to sitting in a wheelchair. Nice idea. Unfortunately with ME patients it doesn't always work like that!
So what has happened before? Over a summer, when the weather has been good I have been out of the house. Maybe starting in April, thinking I would try to start getting a bit more exercise, enjoy the free spirit. By August I am getting on a bus and having a whale of a time. But I am not listening!(see yesterday's post) My body was saying in June, "give me a chance, I know you're anxious to walk again, get some independence, but I'm not ready yet" I might have muscle aches, hip pains, a couple of 'crash' days dotted in and out of the weeks and my life would start to become a full blown wave of booms and busts, with seizures and days in bed, by the end of the summer. By September I'm cursing myself deciding what it could have been that caused all this. With so many symptoms being thrown at me, I am confused to say the least, especially with the last two months of probably hotter weather making it difficult anyway (over 23-24C is too much for me!).
Over the years I have tried more and more strategies to combat this. Just walking three days a week. Not using the bus and staying in the local area, only walking on flat ground. Last year I tried walking 100 yards then resting for a few minutes, taking me 20 minutes or more to go somewhere which would previously take me 6. I found so many walls to lean on and seats and benches around the town, I could lead a guided bus tour of them!
My legs are getting stronger, I don't get dizzy as often when I'm upright. I can stand in the kitchen for longer and have pushed the wheelchair a bit this week when we have been into town, here on holiday. Hindsight and knowledge is giving me a new perspective. If walking, like I have done this week, feels good and I do it every day it will probably lead to another downfall. However, if I walk for 5 minutes every day, or 5 days a week, I may manage quite well. The occasional slightly longer walk or standing will not make a big difference, but as with the meditation and yoga, it is the accumulation of it that makes the impact.
Walking is something I love. It was something I experienced a lot with my parents when I was a child. Going on holiday was about walking, not visiting theme-parks or spending all day by the pool. All it cost was a pair of wellies for everyone, wet-weather coats and a bar of Dutch chocolate for half-time! (my Dad would pick them up when he went over for work!) It is one thing I long for in my future and probably explains why, as soon as I feel the road under my feet, I just want to go, go, go all over again. I'm feeling that again now. It is so hard to restrain myself, but to find the end goal, and I do believe that is a plausible goal now, I have to take it one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment