Wednesday 4 July 2012

From Sufferer to Patient

Watch out, this one gets deep!
This time last year and for the previous 23 years I was an ME sufferer. I had symptoms, I had good days and bad days, I slept 12-14 hours some days, with naps in-between. I let myself do too much; I didn't have any choice; I had to continue living and be happy as I was. Some days were more of a struggle than others, but I was a sufferer.
Even in January this year I called myself a sufferer. Why? because any illness is something to suffer, something to detest, battle and solve ASAP. Flu, hay-fever, sore throat, headache. They are by rights awful, we suffer, as human beings are not supposed to have health obstacles along the way. We have been trained to expect miracle cures for the worst problems and paracetamol, ibuprofen, creams and operations to solve them when miracles aren't quick in coming. Humans are healthy are strong. Those who are unhealthy are pitied at best, told to "get on with it and stop moaning" at worst. So ME is something to suffer, pretend it is not there and "get over it"
I suffered.
I now am an ME patient and more importantly I am a recovering ME patient. I am Me, not ME. Armed with scientific reading and knowledge, of research, proven methods of assailing this beast, I can fight the good fight with confidence. Knowing my body inside and out, gives me insights. I will treat Me with respect and discover that the respect will be reciprocated.
So I am an ME patient, I am Me. I do not suffer, I Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment