Saturday 28 July 2012

Dream Number Two

How I need another five minutes to dream...
I am on my hands and knees, listening to birds darting through the sky, to birds singing whilst feeding their hungry chicks, to bees buzzing as they pass me and settle on flower after flower. I am weeding, digging, enjoying my surroundings. Loving the fact that what I have created is mine. Our garden to do with as we wish. My gardening has created a festival of colour, light, sounds, shadow, hidden spaces for wildlife, vegetables growing in the ground reaching out for every last drop of water I can give them with the hose- because next year will be a fruitful, warm, joyful summer, with days of calm, cloudless, skies and barbecues, endless bountiful cheesecakes and ice-creams from April until September.
Now I know I am dreaming!
So I love gardening and I now believe I can be a real gardener rather than a frustrated gardener. I can do as my parents have done for as long as I can remember; tend the garden every weekend, enjoy the wildlife that is encouraged and find pleasure in sitting in different places with cups of tea and enjoying the fruits of their labour. Our garden has gone to pot this year. I have managed very little. The Postman will tell you that I occasionally have the courtesy to make sure the path to the front door is clear of overhanging trees and weeds. So frustrated I have been for years, as much as the garden deemed necessary, was too much for me, for ME. Doing a little and appearing to achieve even less was heartbreaking. This year I have agreed to do practically nothing and so be it. My friend declare last week that she loved it, as it was like an English country cottage garden. Foxgloves have appeared from nowhere this year and filled the garden with colour in May and June. Small weeds, tall and spindly, short and creeping, are taking over now and are thriving. The birds and insects are loving this environment, I have also been spying butterflies and lots of moths too, so something is working. I have always wanted a garden full of plants, full of wildlife and full of life.
Next year and for years to come I will start to create even more of that vision than is here now and I look forward to it with great contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment