Wednesday 20 June 2012

Organic

I have been eating organic for years now. Always knowing that by reducing the toxins my body (and initially the Candida) had to cope with, the better chance I had of not dipping back into a really bad state again. I have not eaten everything organic. My staple carbohydrates have been so, for as long as I can remember. I buy organic, stoneground, without improvers, flour to make soda bread and any other household baking. I also buy organic wholemeal pasta and rice. Most of our potatoes are organic too. Butter and yoghurt, two other things I use every day are organic as are any biscuits I might eat. I try to find organic fruit, but buy British if not, as I know the regulations are stricter here. It is a difficult choice as far as vegetables have gone. When I was well to a certain extent 5 or 6 years ago we were getting a vegetable box delivered every other week and also buying from the local organic farm. However the cleaning of the vegetables and preparing took so long and I couldn't predict what would appear week after week- as you may remember I haven't eaten certain veg and no fruit for years because of the Candida. So a compromise has been made there over the last few years. If we can't find organic vegetables that have been cleaned or prepared we buy in-season British (I would probably do that if I wasn't ill anyway as it tastes so much better!). We have organic peas, and chopped veg in the freezer, also have some non-organic there too. It is convenience that has to rule now (as well as the budget!).
One last thing I would like to mention is the coffee that I am drinking in between sentences. It is organic decaf. The great thing about organic decaf coffee is that it retains much of the original flavour during the decaffeination process and the caffeine is removed much more effectively. So by using filtered water, instead of chemicals, to decaf the coffee, the taste remains and and I have no problems with sleepless nights. When I was starting to improve and stating to move in circles of people who actually drank coffee, (rather than cola or beer!) I really started loving the smell and also the flavour; this is is a great compromise and one I am most definitely willing to make.

2 comments:

  1. I like organic decaff too, although I'm fairly addicted to my one cup a day of stove top made freshly brewed and fully caffeinated stuff at the moment.We trey to buy organic as much as possible, but also local (ish) - am actually on schedule to hit the Winchester Farmer's Market this Sunday for some local (and hopefully organic too) veg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, might head down there too...

    ReplyDelete