Thursday 28 June 2012

The Ladder of Health

Yes, a ladder.

I started using this analogy last year and it has grown into something quite profound. I want to share it with you.
I crashed two years ago. I went to bed. I had no choice. I could barely move some days. My body gave up, but I didn't!
I listened and said, "OK, you win" I'll give you a few weeks, check some blood tests and see what happens. It had been starting to flail in January, I had actually gone to my doctor and complained of feeling more tired! Not just tired, more tired! There is a difference, as I am sure many of you will know.
So at this point if I had the ladder I would have said to myself,
"do you need to sit on your current step for a while or go down a step?"
I didn't realise that I needed to go down a step, off-load some of my responsibilities and give myself a break.
By the summer I had been falling down the steps, without realising it. Not really listening... pushing, doing what I expected myself to do; keep going, strive and you will succeed. I wanted to have a slightly interesting life. I accepted I was ill, just wanted a little piece of the social cake- a slice of life outside the home. I was careful, made sacrifices left, right and centre, but did not purposefully take that step back by my own choosing.
So by doing all this, my body made the decision. It pushed me off the ladder and told me to sit on the floor for a while. I kept getting up and it kept pushing me back off, for about 18 months in cycles of 3-6 months, I was constantly doing and flailing, doing and flailing. Stepping up the ladder too soon, only to fall back onto the floor.
Last November something happened. OH and I decided that we had to come first. Our needs above everyone else's and for the time being most of my needs over his.
I stepped back onto the floor and happily sat down. What a relief that was. To make the decision myself!
Christmas was the best we had ever had. I was ill- yes I was ill. We were smiling to jaw-breaking standards. Family and friends who didn't understand were laughably annoying. But friends and family who did understand suddenly came out of the wood-work and switched on the light. We had support we didn't know was there.
Even Olympic athletes have to step back occasionally; a ham-string injury or twisted ankle might take them out of full capacity training for a couple of weeks and who is likely to ever reach the top of the ladder? The idea is not to aim for the top, but to reach your comfortable step, sit down happily and be yourself. I reckon I'm on the first step, I've tested the second step a few times in the last couple of months and know it's not quite strong enough for me yet. I will wait until it is, as the last thing I want is to be pushed back to the floor and have to do time there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment