Saturday 30 June 2012

Allergies !!!

A word that encourages spreading of said affliction, so won't mention it more than a couple of times. Allergies- there, that should do!
Many ME patients have various sensitivities arising throughout the course of the illness. I didn't have that many occur that hadn't been diagnosed before my initial virus. I am sensitive to orange food colouring- my Mum realised this when I was a child and it has not really bothered me so it's just a tale of inflated, itchy cheeks that I can boast about at a party.
I have had light sensitivity to the point of arguing about the curtain being open 2 or 3 inches rather than 4! Noise sensitivity-I used to read subtitles on television rather than listening to it. Also over the last 20-odd years my skin has become more and now less aware of which soaps, shampoos, laundry powder etc. I use. I am actually sitting now in a wool cardigan over a short sleeved t-shirt-unheard of for me, for at least 15years. I would have come out in a rash before you know it.
I do have hay-fever. This year more than most and uncannily at a different time of year. If you are a UK dweller you will know how interrupted the seasons can become and this year has been strange as ever. My affliction didn't start as usual with tree pollen and spring flowers such as wisteria and cherry blossom. There was so much rain it all seemed to wash away and I was laughing. Until the grass season came into effect a couple of weeks ago- which seemed to be early, for no apparent reason. Some days I can walk around the garden without a care in the world but then others I am sneezing as soon as I wake and wonder what on earth is happening; eyes feel as if they are out on stalks; sinuses ache and ache; ears feel bunged up too and the runny nose seems to be going as fast as the Jamaican sprint relay team. The best form of therapy for this is distraction, as with so many other symptoms. I keep a tissue or hankie at hand and deal with any ablutions when I need to!
I'm not sure I have had many others. The problems with digestion comes up again and again with ME patients and yes, when you go to restaurants or possibly even eat with family at a wedding etc. you need to make it clear that you can't eat certain foods. By saying you have an allergy it is sometimes easier to get the point across and the issue is taken more seriously. I don't consider just having an aversion to digesting dairy or wheat for a while a specific diagnosis, it is just a bit of a pain and I have been able to come back to them in small amounts as my health has improved. My advice would be don't give yourself labels unless you have solid proof that you are going to need paramedic attention, or weeks of self-medication, by eating a peanut, sesame seed or piece of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment