Tuesday 29 May 2012

When Will I Be Walking Again?

A friend asked me this question recently and I was kind of flummoxed as I don't see it as a priority. The one thing that might push that part of my recovery is that it is my husband who pushes the wheelchair when we go shopping, or even for a short 'walk'(!). I would like to stop using the wheelchair and have more control when I leave the house, but as I say it is not a priority.
I am using my legs around the house, but if I use a pedometer to count my steps during the day, I am still only doing 800-1400 over 24 hours. This needs to increase and I need to lengthen my standing times between rests, before I can walk for anything more than a couple of minutes outside.
My physical energy is used in so many ways. If I was to still ask someone else to continue the cooking, someone to carry me into the garden if I wanted to sit in the shade on a sunny day, maybe also fetch and carry items around the house at my beck and call, then I might be walking 500 yards every day. I use energy in so many ways; when eating, getting dressed, making scrambled egg or a frozen, pre-chopped vegetable based curry! Also when filling my day with time passing activities; knitting, playing patience, doing jigsaws, reading, writing. The one thing I must mention is that energy is needed in this time to heal the body too. De-conditioned muscle needs time and energy to heal, more than a daily night's sleep will give.
Also my legs need practice walking. I am stretching my hamstrings in yoga, in putting a couple of plates in the dishwasher. My hip joints stiffen at the slightest weight bearing and more than a couple of minutes standing still. My yoga exercises are important, by sitting cross-legged, bearing my own body weight and stretching the spine.
Moving around the house will increase as the days, weeks and months go by. When this is nearer normal, or acceptable levels I will start to move about outside. I have had too many experiences over the years of walking around outside only to come home and collapse in an exhausted heap. During these times I have relied so much on others for day-to-day living needs. I am searching for a life where I can function inside and out of the house. Showing others that I can use my legs is not a priority; my priority is feeding myself, washing myself, dressing myself, enjoying hobbies and daily life. Once I have achieved that, I will encourage the outside world to enter into my life again and I will start to explore the one hobby I do still crave; going for quiet, peaceful, adventure-filled walks. (Oxymoron intended!)

No comments:

Post a Comment