Sunday 20 May 2012

When making a start is just not possible


I have been there and I know what it is like. Rest is the best friend at times like these. If I needed a week in bed, with the shutters drawn and the hot water bottles on stand by, that is what I did; I spent the week in bed, with the shutters drawn and the hot water bottles on standby. My husband would prepare everything for me in the morning; even have the eggs ready-mixed to go in the microwave for my breakfast; the bread ready sliced for the toaster; a flask full of water for tea or coffee; my lunch on a covered plate, again ready for the microwave; hot water bottles done in the last minutes before he left the house in the morning and on call for a chat if I needed a friendly word of encouragement. I would be sleeping some of the day, watching TV to stop me sleeping the rest of the day and nothing much would be achieved other than making it through to him coming home, re-filling my bottles and preparing my evening meal. He would help me laugh, give me a shoulder if I needed to cry, get it all out of my system for me to tackle another day and another week in a better state or very much the same.
Giving yourself the rest is the best way to prepare for recovery. It can't happen just like that- don't let anyone tell you it can! Finding a calm state and forgetting what is going on in your body is the best way to float on through. Over the years I have had audio books, favourite films- again to make me laugh and cry. Laughter is so important, it lifts the spirits, as does a smile. Relaxing CDs are really helpful too, especially if there is pain. Calming music and sounds can relax the body and help you forget. As I mentioned in Beginning Recovery the resting environment can be so important too. My Mum used to pick fresh flowers every week, I also had artificial flowers in my room. Clean linen on the bed and a regular change of pyjamas. I buy myself fresh bedwear (well for us they are not always nightwear are they!) at least once every six months,or choose them as a Christmas or birthday present. It helps me realise that I am allowed to rest in bed, I am allowed to be comfortable and I am allowed to pamper myself even though only a few distinguished guests will see the result.
Time seemed to be my enemy, but it was not. It gave me rest, stability and it helped me find the right place to search for a solution. By calming my symptoms, time gave me hope and reason to believe and trust in recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment