Thursday 17 May 2012

Reading


This has been one of my best tools to aid any sort of recovery. For years the rule on the street has been: If you have ME, you have an untreatable, incurable illness. This goes for the many other similar conditions such as Fibromyalgia, MCS and of course the other diagnosis given for ME sufferers CFS. If you find the right sources and read the right pages you will discover that over the last few years this rule has been changed. ME is totally treatable, totally curable and need not be a lifelong ailment that just has to be accepted and coped with.
I have just floated along with my condition for years, accepting what I was and dealing with niggles as they came along. When I hit the wall again 2 years ago I decided to rediscover the situation on the streets. From previous reading through the 1990's mostly and especially by contacting ME charities and online self-help websites I had discovered that any hope of recovery would see you spending a lot of money for very little chance of a worthwhile result.
The new search began. When I was well enough I spent an hour or so going through search engines and book reviews.The words that you use in search engines can be so important in finding the catalyst. Epilepsy Research had helped me a lot to rediscover my options and find me some kind of hope for controlling my seizures, This was my catalyst. I typed in ME Research. And discovered a lot. I found papers, University research projects, different trials and testing techniques. This was a good start. I watched lectures on YouTube, I read papers and charity magazines and learnt so much about why my body reacts like it does in different situations. Just knowing that each cell in the body has energy-making atoms and that in ME patients these atoms don't have the relevant parts to recreate the energy as quickly as in a healthy person, made me realise how important combating the overexertion and endless days of recuperation would be in finding my own recovery. Also how important my diet would be to recreate those atoms faster. Mitochondrial Dysfunction is my friend, but I am telling it to find a new playmate! I also began to understand why sitting up and standing created a falling sensation, what the autonomic nervous system was for and why it also was in a state of dysfunction.
I began searching on book websites for ME recovery stories and positive books about how to cope with the condition. Some were still very down beat and just wanted to tell me to live with it and get used to it. Others were saying "you can get better, here's how to best recreate that" Reading the reviews of these books have been my best ally in finding freedom. Dropping hints and website titles into the reviews has been and will continue to be the best way of finding recommendations for everything ME related as far as my recovery has gone. Research the ideas and "cures" before you decide to go ahead with them, but being free of this illness and finding freedom is totally possible. Don't believe in websites and books that wallow in self-pity, that say every cure is someone making money for old rope. Believing in recovery is the first step, some days are easier than other to trust that belief, but the knowledge, medical research and proof is there to show that recovery is possible. Read as much as you can, aid you own recovery, be your own doctor and create your own destiny.

1 comment: