Monday 28 May 2012

Hot Weather

No thanks!
I find it so difficult to get through a hot or cold day. This last week with blue skies, humid weather and temperatures reaching 27 Celsius has been difficult. It has been part of the reason for me having regular naps over the weekend and feeling particularly drained of all energy. My OH and I have not left the house, other than to visit neighbours. I have also spent more time in bed as the rest of the house heats up quite quickly during the day and I don't have the energy to sit upright in the kitchen or living room.
"It is not that hot", some of you may be saying! For so many years the sun has caught me unawares, I have thought I'll be alright and then I have had a hibernation in order to cope with it. Trying to compensate activity with weather extremes is difficult- how much energy does a warm day take from me; enough so I shouldn't fill the washing machine, or so that I shouldn't have any friends round and mustn't do any reading?! With this weekend hibernation has come a dreadful lethargy so The Chelsea Flower Show has been my friend on television- I have been enjoying everyone else's gardens!
Last week before the heat really set in I did manage to spend some time in the garden though. By sitting on my lounger with a large garden parasol for shade and a cool breeze actually making me more comfortable than I would have been in the house, I enjoyed the warmer weather. But indoors was uncomfortable as was any part of the garden without shade or breeze! Sitting in the car to leave the house was excruciating, so it was not attempted! We were hoping to go to a garden centre yesterday and pick out a new lawn mower- looks like that might be another internet job!
Why does the heat make me so lethargic? I wish I knew! I sit with the window open, but only when it's shaded. I also use an electric fan at home, but there is not much I can do other than take a bottle of water when I leave the house in the warmer weather. I wear layers, have a fan in my bag, avoid the direct sunlight and look forward to an 18-21 Celsius weather forecast.
I suppose I might appear to have that habit of being British; moaning about the weather, but I love it too. The garden flourishes, birds sing all day long outside my window, we're not constantly dodging the showers if we leave the house and there is less washing to do with t-shirts and linen trousers rather than jumpers, shirts, jeans and long johns!

No comments:

Post a Comment